Thursday, September 15, 2011

You Learn Something New Every Day. AKA You Meet Somebody New Every Day

Tyler Lewis
“I have never tried a vegetable; I’m a little scared and I don’t like the way they smell.” Tyler Lewis describes himself as a normal 25 year old college student. As we sat in a dimmed classroom in front of computers, the two of us introduced ourselves and began asking questions. I knew it would be an interesting conversation the second he told me that he’s never eaten a vegetable.
            Tyler is a senior at Benedictine University, majoring in Communications and plans to graduate this May. “If everything goes as planned, I’ll be done this spring,” Lewis stated. He joined the Bulldog pack recently, after attending Western University in Macomb, IL for 2 ½ years and taking 3 years off. He is a native of Virden, IL where he resided all of his life until recently, when he moved to Springfield. The best friend of Tyler, named Grady, also lives in Virden.
            When I asked Tyler if he was married or has children, he laughed and said, “Haha, absolutely not.” He has worked construction and done landscaping over the summer, but is currently not working and just concentrating on school. I asked Tyler what he wanted to do when he graduated and he said, “I really just want to find a stable job, you know?” I completely understand this feeling, knowing that the job market is kind of scarce.
            “I have been parasailing before,” Tyler said about himself. Tyler and a few friends traveled to Mexico after graduating high school. I told him that I could to relate to him with this fact. I, myself, traveled to Mexico after graduating high school. It is a beautiful country. I don’t believe however that Tyler drove his charcoal colored Jeep to Mexico, because he said he is going to buy it right after class.
            Some favorites of Tyler Lewis include the color red. When I asked him what his favorite food is, he replied, “Probably chicken. Preferably grilled.” I told him that the best kind of chicken is fried! He was unsure about his favorite restaurant. He said, “Longhorn Steakhouse is up there, maybe Osaka, and Popeyes.” Lewis had a hard time deciding on his favorite movies. When I asked if he had one, he replied, “Wow, that’s tough.” However, he came up with The Goodfellas, and Almost Famous.
            As we talked, I took note of what he was wearing. Tyler had on brown sandals, gym shorts, and a blue Polo shirt. I realized that he does appear to be a normal senior in College. If Tyler could have any car in the world, he would chose to drive a Lamborghini, I suppose a red one.
            It was nice to meet somebody new at school. Sometimes I think I know everybody because several of us students have all had classes together because we share the same major. I hope Tyler enjoys the rest of his time at Benedictine University.

No comments:

Post a Comment